Spiced Rice Stuffed Truss Tomatoes
- 10-12 Truss Tomatoes
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tbs paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs cumin
- 3 tbs dried mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- In a saucepan, add olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add herbs and spices, and sauté for a minute until fragrant. Add rice and stock. Cover with lid for 10 minutes on low heat until the rice has absorbed the stock and is tender. If rice isn’t tender by the time the stock has been absorbed, add some extra water and replace lid until it is.
- While the rice is cooking, core each tomato, scooping out the middle and place onto a baking paper lined tray.
- Once the rice is cooked, stuff each tomato with rice until just over-flowing. Repeat with all tomatoes then bake for 35-45 minutes until the tomatoes are tender.
Recipe by Naturally Nutritious